Ordinary of Medieval Armorials
The CD-ROM edition (1.0) of the Ordinary of Medieval Armorials (2006, above) is
now obsolete, and is being replaced by two revised and expanded versions for
- the database version, vs.2.1 (July 2017,
readable with Microsoft Access 2003 (or later),
and having more functionality than
- the text version, vs. 2.0 (July 2017, pdf), readable with Adobe Acrobat vs.6.0 (or later).
The French ordinary will be revised later in 2017.
Both versions have six functional parts:
- an ordinary of 87.638 coats of arms (2017 mdb-version), in
part or in toto from c.250 armorials, blazoned in both English and French,
and attributed to families, branches or persons;
- an index of 16.861 crests and 3244 figures used as crests;
- an alphabetic armory (2017-version) with notes on 17.763
families and 33.183
branches or variants, each with references, and 3921 synonyms;
- a dictionary of 1280 terms used in blazon and their
synonyms many with translation into several languages;
- Sigla and notes on 542 armorials, murals and decorations with
reference to surviving manuscripts (also available through the SURVEY
section) and 130 synonyms;
- Bibliography and dictionary of abbreviations;
All items are blazoned in dictionary form in English and most in French,
some have additional full blazons in the notes.
How to get it
- download Ordinary 2.1, 58 MB.
Steen Clemmensen: Ordinary of Medieval Armorials,
vs.2.1, 04.2020, 87.638 coats of
arms, 33.183 branches/variants, 17.763 families/towns/abbeys, 3.921 cross-references,
11.795 figures, 14510 crests, 228 armorials in toto or in parte,
updated notes, tblFigures revised as in text version;
- - - - - -
- download Introduction to the pdf-version 2.0,
1.2 MB, 17 pages, master page for navigation; foreword, priority of quarters,
abbreviations, numbering of items on a page, number of items per armorial.
- download Survey of 542 armorials, 4.5 MB, 313 pages,
sigla, notes, holding institutions, manuscripts, publications.
- download Ordinary of arms - in English,
21 MB, 3675 pages,
blazons, entries in armorials, owning 'families' and 'branches'.
- download Notes on families, 43 Mb, 8521
pages, families, institutions and fictitional realms and persons,
blazons of variations of arms, notes on persons, pedigrees, properties,
seals, entries in armorials, references - as available.
- download Crests,
5.9 MB, 817 pages, list of crests as an ordinary, by family and by type.
- download Familles et leur armes - en francais,
2006-version, 13.4 MB, 937 pages.
- download Index Armorum - en francais, 2006-version,
26 MB, 2264 pages.
- download Dictionary of terms in blazon 1.9 MB, 183 pages,
basic terms used in blazon in English, French, German, Italian,
Spanish, Czech,and Danish with blazons of Polish clan arms.
- download References,
2.8 MB, 49 pages; sigla and note on collections of seals, marches d'armes,
maps used as reference, bibliography.